5/2/12

kale and avocado salad

I'll be the first to admit I'm not always the healthiest eater.  I am a lover of all things sweet, starchy, and packed of carbs.  But there are times when I crave something healthy--and I definitely don't want to sacrifice great taste.  So when I found this hearty kale and avocado salad recipe, I decided to give it a whirl.
Kale and avocado salad (spotted here)
What you'll need:
-1 avocado
-1/2-1 head of kale
-1-2 lemons
-1/2 cup feta cheese
-1/2 cup pine nuts


What you'll do:
After washing the kale, cut off the ends and chop it into 1/2 inch pieces. Combine small slices of avocado with the kale in a bowl and mix/massage the greens.  Make sure that all the avocado is dispersed.  Sprinkle with lemon juice (to desired taste--I used 1), add the feta cheese and pine nuts and toss. Make sure you leave some cheese and nuts to garnish the top at the end.
*Tip: kale has a bit of a grassy taste raw, so it's best to steam it first--just add a little water to a pan and cook the kale over medium heat for a few minutes
As you can probably tell from my photos, I went a little crazy with the cheese.  I guess I can't clarify myself as a health nut after all...but its a start!

Indulge all you want in this salad--kale contains several necessary vitamins so it's incredibly healthy. Here's to a week filled with health and happiness!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment