2/10/12

cheap wines part two


I recently shared some Napa Valley winemakers' picks for cheap wines.  Since I can go on (and on) about wine, I thought I'd also share some of my favorite affordable wines as well!

 Clockwise from top right:
1. Ruta 22 2009 Malbec Reserve: $10--I first tried this at Artisan House
2. Dow's Vale do Bomfim 2006: $10--a Portuguese wine my family drank on Christmas Eve in Crested Butte
3. The Dreaming Tree Central Coast Chardonnay: $15-- Dave Matthews created this wine, need I say more? I tried the chardonnay when my boyfriend sent a couple bottles to my door!
4. Clos du Bois North Coast Sauvignon Blanc: $12--I love sauvignon blancs, but I'm also very picky about them (I don't like them dry like a chardonnay); this is a great one in my book
5. Kim Crawford Malborough Unoaked Chardonnay: $13--I first received this wine free from work as they're a client of ours; I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised!
6. Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon: $8--very smooth and not too heavy; I'd love to try this with a steak (good thing I have several in my freezer right now, seriously)
7. Perrin & Fils Cotes du Rhone Nature: $9--another wonderful red wine my family drank in Crested Butte one year
8. Dancing Bull Cabernet Sauvignon: $7--this is my go-to cheap, red wine...it doesn't taste a bit cheap! I've also tried their chardonnay and it's great as well
9. Semler Cabernet Sauvignon: $35--this is easily the most expensive wine I've ever purchased. If you're looking to splurge a bit, I highly recommend it. The beau and I tried the '04 at Malibu Wines. (Tip: the '04 is the same price as the '05 and '06!)
photo courtesy of Maryse Chevriere
I also tried an '08 Muscat Canelli at the Masia de Yabar winery in Temecula last year that I was obsessing over for weeks after.  Unfortunately the wine is not in stock right now...but if you stumble upon it, you must try it. If you're into super sweet wine, that is. Luckily, during my recent trip to Malibu Wines, I tasted a Saddlerock orange muscat that was a close second.  You can get your own bottle for $28.

Now, I'm not proclaiming myself a "wino" persay, but I do know what good wine tastes like, even if I can't describe the exact flavors :)
Happy Friday everyone!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment