1/31/12

thumbprint necklace

I wanted to take some time and share something a bit more personal today.  If you've seen any of my outfits posts, you'll notice I'm wearing the same necklace in all of them.  I wear this same necklace almost every single day. Not only do I think its delicate and pretty, but there's a story behind it.

 The week my mom passed away, my family, along with some friends who essentially are family, visited the funeral home which was making the arrangements for the service.  After going over the program and what we wanted the service to be like, the director told us about a line of jewelry they do to commemorate your late loved one.  At first I was furious that he was trying to sell us something during this time of distress, but when he began describing what these pieces entail I knew I had to have one.

On the front is a replica of my mom's actual thumbprint.
 The back is engraved with "the baby loves the momma."  This is reversed from "the momma loves the baby," in which my mom used to say to me all the time.  It took a while for me to choose what I wanted the necklace to say--I didn't want it too emotional to the point of making me consistently sad, but rather something to make me smile and remember how special she was to me.
As you can see...I clearly forgot to get this cleaned before taking these photos...oops. I know my mom wouldn't approve of that!
[anthropologie shawl {borrowed from grace}, gap t-shirt, michael kors watch, bracelets: david yurman, cc skye, sunglasses purchased from a santa monica farmers market]
It should come as no surprise that I miss my mom every single day.  I love finding and having little things to celebrate her life and the amazing person she was.  And man did she love jewelry. And shoes. And basically everything I discuss on this blog. I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree--and I wouldn't have it any other way.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment