12/18/11

peppermint bark

My roomates Lisa and Kristin (she came in town this week!) made peppermint bark yesterday.  I never knew how to make it, so I watched Lisa as she melted white chocolate chips on the stovetop, stirring in bits of peppermint.  She told me it was relatively simple, once you learn how to melt chocolate correctly.  Her tip is to always use the stovetop, rather than the microwave.  Here's what you'll need to make your own:

For one batch:
1 bag white chocolate chips
1 package candy canes
Wax paper

Melt the white chocolate chips on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring consistently.  Meanwhile, smash the candy canes into small pieces.  Having a friend to help with this part comes in handy. (Tip: put a few candy canes inside the empty chocolate chip bag, and smash lightly using a hammer).  Stir in some  candy a little bit at a time.  Make sure you save a little bit to sprinkle on the top!

Place a piece of wax paper onto a cookie sheet.  Using a spoon or turner, spread the chocolate onto the paper evenly, covering the entire pan.  Sprinkle the remaining peppermint pieces on top. Put the pan in the fridge for about 20 minutes--it will be ready once the chocolate has hardened.  Next just break it all into large pieces, and wrap it up all pretty for your friends.

Now, I've never been much of a baker.  Except for one recipe of my aunt's, everything I bake generally comes from a box.  So, sorry coworkers, you're still getting store-bought peppermint bark this year.  Maybe next year I'll be more domestic now that I have this recipe, but until then I will just enjoy learning from all of my talented friends!

What holiday treats are your favorites to bake?
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment